Exothermic is the leader in self-reliance brand marketing, but we like to share our wisdom with the world. Here are the top stories we’ve identified this week in our markets:
- Climate Change Could Cause Significant Food Supply & Economic Problems Due To “Chokepoints,” Report Warns, Roughly 25% of all of the food currently eaten in the world is traded on international markets. This situation is especially true of staple foods such as wheat, maize, rice, and soybeans. Owing to this reality, and the accompanying reliance on a relatively small number of important deepwater seaports, roads, and straits — so-called “choke points” — climate change threatens to greatly disrupt international food supply chains in coming years.
- Lyme Disease Is Spreading, And It’s Partly This Mouse’s Fault, As tick-
- borne diseases become increasingly common in the U.S., scientists are scrutinizing these external parasites’ relationship with their hosts with the goal of figuring out how to fight the spread of Lyme.
- How farmers are fighting ticks with feathery fowl, Speaking of ticks –
chickens and guineas are “tick-eating machines,” according to many poultry enthusiasts.
- WHO warns of imminent spread of untreatable superbug gonorrhoea, At least three people worldwide are infected with totally untreatable “superbug” strains of gonorrhoea which they are likely to be spreading to others through sex.
- Popular heartburn drugs linked to higher death risk, Risk increases the longer the drugs are used.
- Researchers find sunscreen becomes toxic when exposed to chlorine, New research reveals that sunscreen becomes toxic when exposed to chlorine, sometimes resulting in kidney and liver dysfunctions, as well as nervous system disorders.
- To Prepare For Mars Settlement, Simulated Missions Explore Utah’s Desert, For 16 years, this facility surrounded by red hills, deep canyons and very few signs of life has been a kind of testing ground for learning what life on the Red Planet might be like.
- Why Is There So Much Modern Architecture In The NRA’s New Ad?, For decades, authoritarian regimes have waged war on modern architecture and the philosophy it embodies. A new ad proves it’s still a target.